Sunday, May 4, 2008

Spring is in the air, orange is everywhere

I don't know what my deal is, every art project I see and want to create at home begins in my head with orange. Last year it was a 1950's shade of light blue. So I guess the color fixation is only temporary. Anyway, I would like to highlight the orange in my life, because I love it.
An exhibit on time and place at an Ann Arbor downtown art gallery featured underground artists from Detroit. They spray paint abandoned buildings bright orange to bring attention to all the blight in the area. It has certainly grabbed the attention of the city council. Two homes have already been demolished.

I love this form of activism. They make the ugly interesting and also inspire positive change. Detroit has more brown fields than any other place in the nation. The city seems to be rotting from the inside out. I hope that in my lifetime we can see some sort of turnaround here. Anyway, props to the 4 annonymous artists. Keep it up and to the city for finally knocking some of that nastiness down.

Caroline let me have this watering can for some leftover cork board. I love the brightness. And since I have a real knack for killing apartment plants by forgetting to water them this could prove to be as helpful as it is beautiful.

I saw a pillow I liked at anthropologie that was $100.00. I am hoping to make a similar one with my own scrap fabrics for about $10.00.

My favorite shoes. They are pretty, the soles are partially recycled, and you can play outside with them. They were mine a day after I laid eyes on them. However, I have to admit that I way overpaid for these. They should be 30-40 bucks, but they were 80! I can happily admit this is the only impulse buy of the last year so I am just enjoying it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a fun read. You are Global Baby!

Anonymous said...

I am the eggman, and I am anonymous. Dad..

Anonymous said...

Oh dig a pony....orange. I didn't know about the project orange. Thats pretty awesome. Can you come help me decorate me apt?

Brenna said...

I didn't mean to sound so negative about Project Orange when you told me about it yesterday. I think it's really awesome actually. I just wish Detroit could get its shit together!